Legal Problems Cut Across A Wide Range Of Facts, Issues, And Industries
Attorneys often pigeon hole themselves into distinct practice areas, such as "I am a 40 Act lawyer" or I do "ERISA". My background is in litigation, trial work and mediation. If it involves dispute resolution, negotiation or solving problems, I can handle it. If it is beyond my experience or expertise, I will tell you. All of the following, are situations and questions that come directly from my practice:
Real Business Cases
- Can the seller of a golf business be held liable for oral statements about the company's revenues?
- Does an idea for a waste removal business qualify as a trade secret?
- Did parties account for billings properly in a television ad campaign?
- How do you value a medical practice when there is a dispute between shareholders?
- Are promises made in a letter of intent to sell a snack food company binding?
- How can I stop a former employee from using my trade secrets?
- Does a landlord have control over what a subtenant wishes to do with commercial property?
Financial Industry Issues
- Are misstatements about the holdings in a hedge fund actionable under securities laws?
- Is a custodian bank liable for losses in a client's account?
- How should a public company respond to a securities fraud class action lawsuit?
- How does a financial advisor negotiate a U5?
- Is an accountant liable to a third party for signing off on false statements made by the accountant's client?
- What do you need to do to collect on a promissory note?
Real Property Issues
- Does a neighbor have a right to access a beach across your property?
- Can a town block a theater owner's right to show midnight movies?
- What can a property owner do when a construction project does not meet the specs and goes over-budget?
- Can you block a church from building a parking lot in an historic district?
- What can a property owner do if a Zoning Board denies a special permit to renovate a house?
- What can a land developer do to build affordable housing under M.G.L. c. 40B?
- Can a commercial tenant sublease property and then grant the subtenant permission to make alterations that the property owner does not want made?
- A van Gogh painting that was in my family was stolen by the Bolsheviks in 1918, is there anything I can do to recover it?
- My boss demanded that I sign a non-compete and I did, what are my obligations?
- I am a minority shareholder in a closely held business, what rights do I have?
- I shared my idea with a group and they subsequently forced me out, can I get the rights to my idea back?
- I was denied a license by a state licensing agency, do I have any recourse?
Real Legal Issues
- When is the act of state doctrine applicable?
- When does a court have personal jurisdiction over an out-of-state corporation or person?
- What are a debt collector's obligations under the Fair Debt Collection Act?
- How do you force an insurer to provide coverage?
- What conduct qualifies as unfair and deceptive?
- What obligations does a public entity have to respond to a public records request?
- How do you respond to a trial subpoena that asks you to bring documents?
- How does a party preserve a right to a jury trial in the Massachusetts Land Court?
- Are there any instances when you can recover your attorneys' fees and costs?